Skip to content
- Band Saw or Scroll saw
- Sanders – Rotary and belt
- Drill Press with # 30 drill bit (slightly larger than a 1/8" bit) to fit 1/8" dowel more easily
- Sand paper or emery boards
- A table or radial saw may be used to make a square base.
- Router with ¼" round over bit for base and 1/8" round over bit for tulip and leaves
- 1/2" thick solid wood or plywood
- 1/4" to 5/16" wood
- 1/8" dowel
- Make patterns from print of tulip by gluing to a piece of cardboard. Cut patterns to shape.
- Draw shape on wood surface.
- Saw leaves from 1/2" thick solid wood or plywood.
- Saw bud from ¼" to 5/16" wood
- Sand outer surfaces with a rotary sander or disc sander to smooth and sand edges to remove roughness.
- Check that the leaves fit together easily.
- Round over each piece with 1/8" bit on both sides (not on bottom edge of leaf).
- Make base from 5/8" to ¾ " wood. It can be square or round as shown.
- Drill #30 hole about ¼" to 5/16" deep into top surface. Round over top edge.
- Drill leaves while hand assembled as a matched pair (keep together) and drill bud & base as shown.
- Cut 1/8" dowel to about 5-½" length. Check that dowel fits thru leaves, base and bud.
- Rub your hands over the entire vehicle to make sure there are not sharp edges or points. Remove with sandpaper if any are found.
Download pattern here.