Skip to content
- Band Saw or Scroll saw
- Table or radial saw
- Sanders – Disc, belt, and spindle.
- Drill Press with letter F bit (0.257″) or 17/64″ (.263″)
- Sand paper or emery boards
- ¼” and 3/4″ plywood or solid wood
- 5/8″ to ¾ ” solid wood for base
- Make pattern from print of Cardinal medallion parts by gluing to a piece of cardboard. Cut pattern to shape.
- Draw shape on wood surface.
- Saw Body from ¾” thick solid wood or plywood. Saw wing from ¼” wood.
- Make base from 5/8″ to ¾ ” wood. It can be square or round.
- Sand cut surfaces with a rotary sander to smooth.
- Sand edges to remove roughness. Break any sharp edges with sandpaper.
- Drill base and bird as shown.
- Cut 1/4″ dowel to about 5″ length.
- Glue wing to body.
- Glue dowel to base and bird
- Rub your hands over the entire toy to make sure there are not sharp edges or points. Remove with sandpaper if any are found.
Download pattern here.