Skip to content
- Band Saw or Scroll saw
- Sanders – Rotary and band
- Router ( with ¼" round-over bit)
- Drill Press
- Sand paper or emery boards
- Drill 5/16" or 11/32" holes for axles.
- Saw body from 2" x 4" lumber (sand sides smooth). Fill any voids, cracks or knot holes with filler.
- Sand cut surfaces with a rotary sander to smooth.
- Round over edges with ¼" router bit.
- Sand surfaces and edges to remove roughness.
- Cut ¼" dowel to length (body + 2 x wheels thickness + 1/16" or 3/32" clearance). Easy way to insert dowel into the wheel is to gently sharpen the end in an old style pencil sharpener.
- Glue a wheel to one end of axle using white or yellow glue (Hot melt will not work.) One easy way to put glue in the wheel hole is to dip a pencil point into glue and spread on the inside of the hole.
- Add second wheel to complete assembly. Test that wheels turn freely.
Download pattern here.