This toy pattern includes a multi-page PDF. Please be sure to download and print the attached toy patterns at the bottom of this page along with these instructions.
- Band Saw
- Mop or Flap sander – 80 grit
- Sponge sanding blocks -100 and 120 grit
- Router with 1/4″ round over bit (Optional)
- Drill Press (Optional)
- 1 x 4’s -for all tops except the Duck
- 1 x 6’s -for the Duck
- 1/4″ x 12″ dowel rods
- 1/8″, 1/4″ or 3/16″ ribbon – variety of colors
- Small rubber bands – like for braces – to hold the ribbons to the dowel to keep them neat
- Pipe cleaners – for cat whiskers
The better the wood you start with the less sanding you will have to do. I used select pine from Menards because it is very smooth and fairly straight.
- I cut the pieces into two-foot lengths for easier handling then traced and cut shapes on the band saw.
- I routed all edges then sanded all pieces smooth with mop sander.
- Next, I drilled ¼” holes , approximately 3/4” deep, in the bottom of each piece for the dowel rod. The drill press made this easy, but you could use a vise and hand drill.
- I then slightly tapered one end of the dowel rod with a standard (hand crank – 3 turns) pencil sharpener. Makes for easier insertion into wand top ( Tip from Bill Schuchat). You can also use sandpaper to taper end.
- Cut 3 pieces of ribbon 12-13” long.
- Put a small amount of glue in wand hole and end of dowel rod.
- Lay the 3 pieces (spread out) of ribbon over wand hole and tap dowel rod in so it’s secure.
- Use rubber band to secure ribbon strands to dowel rod.
- OPTIONAL STEPS:
- Drill holes where eyes are
- Drill 3, 1/16” holes on each side of cat and insert 1-1/4” pieces of pipe cleaner, dipped end in glue, for whisker.