This toy pattern includes a multi-page PDF. Please be sure to download and print the attached toy pattern at the bottom of this page along with these instructions.
- Band or Scroll saw
- Sanders – Disc, Belt, and spindle sanders
- Router with 1/8″ or 1/4″ round over bit
- Drill with 1/16″ or 1/8″ bit
- Sand paper
- 3/4″ lumber for body
- 1/4″ lumber for legs
- Make pattern from print of the horse parts by gluing to a piece of cardboard. Cut pattern to shape. Pattern can also be made from mylar or 1/8″ masonite
- Draw shapes on wood surface.
- Saw body from 3/4″ lumber (sand sides smooth). Fill any voids, cracks or knot holes with filler.
- Saw legs from 1/4″ lumber (sand sides smooth) or plywood. Fill any voids, cracks or knot holes with filler Sand curved surfaces with an disc or spindle sander to smooth. Smooth all sharp edges with a 1/8″ round over bit. If solic wood is used, align grain as indicated.
- Glue legs to body and align so they look right. Use pin nailer or brads to keep pieced aligned until glue dries.
- Rub your hands over the entire assembly to make sure there are not sharp edges or points. Remove with sandpaper if any are found.
- Optional: paint if desired.